Posts Tagged ‘Let’s Take the Metro’
We’ve already done Thanksgiving here in Canada (way back in October! Weird, I know ), but being a born and raised American, I always feel justified in celebrating two Thanksgivings…we just move our November turkey day to the weekend.
This year I’m adding meaning to my celebration by joining the lovely Amanda Metro of Let’s Take the Metro in her Gratitude Challenge – basically, making a list (together with lots of other bloggers) of 100 things that make me feel thankful.
I’ll start with the warm fuzzies I know I’m going to get from writing this post and reading the others…and without further ado (in no particular order beyond the first two):
1. Baby Bean always tops the list! I am more grateful than I can ever say for this little girl who’s been so much more to me than I ever could have imagined…every day I love her more…every day she surprises me – if I had nothing else to be grateful for, she would make it all worth it.
2. The husband comes in at a close second. He is awesome and handsome and funny and loves me – I am thankful to have been married to him for 5 years now.
3. Sushi. What’s not to be thankful for?
4. Llamas. Same ? as above.
5. Pinterest. It’s awesome.
6. Good friends. You know who you are. I always wish we could live closer, but you are often in my thoughts and I couldn’t do it without you…
8. Sunflower Seeds.
9. Music. Whether it’s driving home in traffic and having a favorite song come on (Foster the People, anyone?) or singing to Bean or listening to her sing – it always makes me feel better in so many different ways.
10. Cloudy days.
11. A chance to sleep in.
12. A night out with the girls.
13. Luther the dog (as much as he also frequently annoys me, I am very thankful for him).
14. Sage the cat (same aside as above).
15. A trip to the pumpkin farm (and the apple farm, and the berry farm, and the Christmas tree farm…)
16. Water. I love water. I love drinking it, swimming in it, walking in the rain, soaking in a bath, starting at a lake or the ocean, standing under a hot shower and letting it soothe me. I cannot emphasize enough how very, very thankful I am for water. Read the rest of this entry »
Last week I had the opportunity to post how thankful I am for certain specific bloggers – I plan to do that again soon, but this week I’ve had a lot to be grateful for just in life so that’s where I’m sharing from…
This week I have been grateful for:
1. The care my in-laws give to my daughter. I have awesome Chinese in-laws who pretty much believe it’s their job to care for the grandchildren – like, full-time care. Up until the last few months I’ve been hesitant to let my little Bean go for more than a few hours at a time, but as I will be returning to work soon, both of us need to get used to the idea. She now goes to their house for a full day once or twice a week, and has nothing but fun. The moment she sees her Popo (grandmother) she starts laughing her head off – it is obvious that she is already one of Bean’s favorite people in her little world. I’ll admit – I wasn’t keen on the idea of having them care for Bean while I work – we don’t exactly agree on quite a few parenting points! But they have admirably respected my wishes – even when they think I’m crazy – and the love they have for Bean pretty much overshadows any other small concern. Now, instead of apprehension, I can only feel gratitude for their willingness to help raise their granddaughter – and the knowledge that Bean has so many amazing people to love and take care of her! Read the rest of this entry »
I must say ever since I started joining in with these posts 3 weeks ago I’ve seen quite an attitude shift in my life…guess they weren’t lying when they said to count your blessings!
This week I’ve been particularly grateful that I have so many amazing people to speak into my life and learn from, so I thought in this post and a few others upcoming that I would highlight some of those specific people and why I’m grateful for them.
So here goes…
This week I am grateful for: Read the rest of this entry »
Kind of funny because I must admit, my attitude has not been much one of gratitude this week!
And I’m starting to see more and more how much that has to do with NOT focusing on the things I can be grateful for.
So I’m being a bit more intentional about this this week – building on my post from last week in sharing 5 things I am grateful for from over the past 7 days – and planning to come back to this again when I’m starting to feel like things aren’t going my way (I hate it when things don’t go my way!) .
I really would love to get the place where I feel and come across as grateful more often than not…and where it wouldn’t matter so much to me if life doesn’t always go exactly the way I want it to (hmmm…maybe I should have learned that by now?)…At any rate…
Here it goes: Read the rest of this entry »
I’m never normally happy upon waking…I’m not one of those people who jumps out of bed with joy to greet the day. But usually by the time I’ve visited the bathroom and brushed my teeth I’m fairly good to go – as long as coffee follows soon after.
This morning though, I was still washing my hands and getting ready to brush my teeth when my husband called me downstairs to look at my daughter’s poopy diaper.
You’d think by now he could deal with this stuff on his own??
The reason he needed my assistance was the fact that there were ‘strange looking’ things in there (the remains of solid food she hadn’t digested) and he was worried. I told him what it was and grumbled back upstairs to brush my teeth.
Then she was acting tired and it was her naptime, so I attempted to get her to sleep for half an hour, which seemed more like 3 hours as I hadn’t yet had my coffee.
Finally we gave it up as a bad job and came downstairs, where I cried and told my husband all about how this was the worst morning ever – especially as he was leaving in 20 minutes to go help someone move and I had to deal with it all by myself and I wouldn’t be able to eat breakfast or have coffee or anything and it was all terrible.
Yes, I am not a morning person. Read the rest of this entry »
I’m joining Amanda Metro in sharing 5 things I’m grateful for this week…
1. My daughter – absolutely the best gift I could ever have in this life. The husband is a pretty close second. Seriously though…every time I look at her I can’t believe how lucky we are to have her…
2. Bloggers! I have been so grateful for the community I’ve been able to be a part of (and create here) over my months as a parent. I’ve learned so much – been inspired, supported, challenged…I really don’t know what I would have done without you all! And it is so humbling and awesome to me that people come here and read my words and interact…thank you! (If you want to check out some of the people who have been particularly inspiring to me, please see my blogroll on the lefthand sidebar, and several of the badges in the righthand sidebar)
3. I met a new friend this week - Krista, author of Think Mama, Think. It was so awesome to meet another AP mama in person! I’m looking forward to hanging out with her again – and to our upcoming blog post collaboration. Read the rest of this entry »
What a crazy two weeks it has been…
As I sit down to (finally) write and reflect once again, I’m realizing how stressed and overwhelmed I’ve felt over the past few weeks – not that they’ve been bad – it’s just that we decided a couple weeks ago that I would take Bean and fly to the US to surprise my mom for her birthday, and in all the getting ready to go, flying, PMS :p, taking care of her without the hubs for a week…it was pretty crazy!
One thing that did help me out so much was the amazing guest post contributions I was honored to publish last week from some of my very favorite bloggers: Doula Rachel, The Cloth Diapering Mama, A Little Bit of All of It, State of the Heart Parenting, TouchstoneZ and Let’s Take the Metro. I would love for you to go check them out if you haven’t yet gotten the chance – they are so full of humor, wisdom and just all around awesomeness!
As for myself, I totally fell off the good food wagon!
Though I’ve gotten much better than I used to be, there’s just something about feeling overwhelmed that makes all my good food intentions fly right out the window. During the first 2 weeks of May I actually lost over 7 pounds for the Sparkle Mama’s weight loss challenge. Read the rest of this entry »
This guest post is written by Amanda Metro.
Amanda is a pirate who spends way too much time cleaning her gun. She enjoys whistle blowing, eye patch making, and relatively short walks on the beach (however long it takes to get to the boat). She has been pirating for the past 16 years and hopes to do it for the foreseeable future.
OK, OK, that’s not real. Here’s the real one.
Amanda mothers two beautifully intelligent girls who are 15 months apart and never cease to keep life interesting. She loves to garden, cook, sew and research everything green. Since the birth of her first daughter, she has been systematically growing greener and has no plans to stop any time soon. She is a volunteer for Natural Parents Network as an articles editor and social media moderator. She writes about as many different things as she can think of at Let’s Take the Metro.
How to Become Crunchy
First and foremost, you need to have teeth. If you don’t have teeth, invest in a good quality set of dentures. These will be useful to you.
Second, you should probably get a llama. Also a goat and a couple of chickens. What’s that? You live in an apartment in NYC? Hey, a llama can fit in an elevator. Relax. Read the rest of this entry »