Happy Earth Day!
I hope you’ve been enjoying the awesome guest posts of the past few days (one more coming up tomorrow!) – personally I love seeing all these real life stories of women who have made the switch to reusable products for ‘that time of the month’ – it’s inspiring and encouraging to know how many have happily made this choice.
And today on Earth Day, I extend the challenge to you.
It was just about 3 years ago today that I closed my eyes and jumped in – it’s hard for me to fathom it now, but it really was a difficult decision to give up those pads and tampons. I wasn’t confident that reusable products would really work for my heavy periods. I thought it might be a little too gross. It seemed like a lot of money to pay up front.
But the more I realized how bad those toss away products are for the earth – and for my body – the more I leaned toward taking that plunge. And once I finally did…well, ever since then I’ve wanted nothing but to share how amazing these products are!
It’s hard to say why, exactly…I don’t make or manufacture or sell reusable products – there’s no monetary gain for me. I certainly don’t judge anyone who chooses not to.
- But I do know what long, tough, heavy periods can be like.
- I have personally experienced changes for the better in my cycle after using these products for 3 years now. My periods are shorter, my PMS symptoms are less. I’m no expert but I don’t doubt that this switch – along with removing other chemicals and toxins from my home – have greatly contributed to these changes.
- I’ve been so helped to know that with my diva cup, I can trust 99.9% of the time that I won’t have a leak – something I could never depend on with the most robust of tampons.
- I know my pads are always there in the house when I need them – no running out to the store in a panic on the chance of running out.
- I feel confident that I am no longer exposing some of my most tender parts to chemicals during the part of the month I – and my body – feels most vulnerable
- I love that I haven’t spent any money on pads or tampons in THREE YEARS – that the pads I bought then are still going strong, and that a $50 menstrual cup purchased once a year is peanuts compared to what I was spending before, every month.
- I feel proud that I am no longer contributing pad and tampon waste to landfills – or the ocean, which is where a lot of them end up.
- I feel great about the fact that my daughter will be exposed to these products as normal from an early age, and hopefully will have neither need nor desire to use anything else – a serious contribution I am able to make to her reproductive health.
All of these things help give me a peace around my cycle. It is more natural – more in tune with the earth. Not always easier – but I am happy to have anything that can help! And that is something I want for myself – and for my daughter – and for any of you who may be reading this and wondering if this could be for you.
So back to that challenge…
It always helps to have a friendly little push when you’re thinking about doing something a little scary.
First, some discount codes for you:
Moms Crafts 4 U has offered free shipping through May 15 to Becoming Crunchy readers – use the code ZEROSHIPPING on checkout from her Etsy store to take advantage of this deal.
Mama Kloth is offering 10% off all products until April 30 – use the code BECOMINGCRUNCHY on checkout from her Etsy shop to get this deal.
And for those of you who are still a little unsure – I am offering a giveaway. I will buy the winner a starter set of cloth pads – the vendor will be of my choosing and will depend on where you live – but this will be your chance to give them a try with no strings attached.
This giveaway is for those of you who have not tried these products before – please be on your honour. To be entered to win, simply leave a comment telling me why you want to try cloth pads (and/or what is holding you back from doing so).
For one bonus entry, share this post on Facebook and leave a comment telling me you did so.
If you already use reusable menstrual products, I am happy for you to enter this giveaway on behalf of a friend or family member if you would like to gift them with a starter set of cloth pads. If you are entering with this intention, please leave a comment telling me who you will be gifting them to and why. One bonus entry for sharing on Facebook – leave another comment saying you did so.
If you still have questions or would like to learn more about what cloth pads, menstrual cups and sponges are really like, and how you can start feeling better about your cycle in general, please check out the many posts I’ve shared here – there is truly a wealth of information from a whole community of women.
This Earth Day, I challenge you to give it a try – even for just one month. I hope you’ll be as pleasantly surprised as I was with your experience.
Giveaway closes May 1, 2013. Winner will be chosen at random. If I perceive you are not playing by the rules you will be disqualified. See full giveaway rules here. Good luck!