To all you Canadians out there – happy Victoria Day Weekend!
I just love 3 day weekends…I think there should be more of them.
We’re planning a BBQ tonight with friends we don’t get to see very often, which means I have to finish getting the house cleaned shortly! And we’re hoping it doesn’t rain…though if it does we’ll just move the BBQ into the garage!
Long weekends are certainly a bit more low key now that the Bean is here, but we’re OK with that.
I even got a special gift from the husband this morning – the chance to sleep in! He got up early with the Bean and took her for a visit to his parent’s house – I got to sleep until almost 9:00AM! I think it’s the latest I’ve slept in for close to 9 months now.
It is telling, however, that I didn’t sleep longer…before baby I could have easily gone until 12 – maybe even 1. Oh how things change…
I’ve really got to finish my housecleaning soon, but thought I would procrastinate just a little bit longer to share some of the great posts I’ve been reading this week. In the meantime, hope your weekend is going awesome!
- “I feel totally confident saying I agree with AP, and still not want to (and more importantly, do not) sleep in the same bed with my child all the time. I can say I’m a natural parent and eat processed foods, watch television, and someday send my kid out of the home for his schooling needs. I can call myself an “attachment parent” and give my kid a pacifier, use a stroller, and selectively vaccinate. Does that make me less of a good parent than someone who doesn’t do those things? Nope. Does it make me less “natural” or less “AP”? I believe that it does not.” On Labels and Boxes and Trusting Yourself from Anktangle
- “Why is the corn industry spending millions on misinformation campaigns to convince consumers and health care professionals of the safety of their product? Could it be that the food industry comprises 17 percent of our economy?” 5 Reasons High Fructose Corn Syrup Will Kill You from Dr. Mark Hyman
- “Like the parable of the unforgiving servant, it’s as though I’ve been forgiven a debt of zillions of dollars. What right do I then have to extract a few pennies worth of justice from my child in the form of physical punishment?” More Thoughts on Biblical Parenting from Pearl in Oyster
- “It seems as if balance is not a fantasy reserved for the super zen, super thin, or super rich after all.” Balance is Key! Hooray For Me! from State of the Heart
- “When our family transitioned from “conventional” hygiene products to more natural ones years ago, I was surprised to see the prices on simple tubes of toothpaste (often ranging from $5-$7). I had been purchasing the conventional toothpastes with coupons and sales, so I would only have to spend 25-50 cents per tube. But when looking at the chemical/sweetener-filled ingredients, I cringed at the thought of it in my children’s mouths (and, they likely swallow some of it, too!).” Frugal and Natural Homemade Toothpaste from Frugal Granola
- “In case parents don’t do enough to sufficiently confuse their children, teachers and school administrators can do their parts as well. We can all work together to make sure no child is left thinking the world makes sense.” 10 Ways For Schools to Confuse a Child from Demand Euphoria
- “Whatever you do, do not feel guilty if you so choose to eat something processed from time to time. Don’t let guilt guide you in any way. Make healthier choices based on knowledge and when you screw up you are more likely to get more firmly founded in your desire to eat in a way that will truly nourish you because you just don’t like the results.” Transition to Real Food: One Day at a Time from Divine Health
- “Once you’ve made your emergency kit, you should sit down with your family and come up with an emergency plan. This includes where you would go and who you would call if zombies started appearing outside your door step.” Preparedness 101: Zombie Apocalypse from the CDC Blog
- “I made 13 of these this morning on a whim, and there are 4 left. As I hang my head in shame, I will tell you I ate three. IN THE NAME OF SCIENCE. I mean, I HAD to test them for you guys, right?!!?” Flourless Grain Free Fig Newton Mini Cakes from Life as a Plate
- “There is a reason why civilizations throughout the world honor those who share stories. Whether they are based in fact or wild imagination, they are ways to knits hearts together in shared adventures and transmit Truth. Find some time today to tell an extraordinary story with your children!” How to Be a Storyteller Extraordinaire from Dulce de Leche
I lost love learning from the Blogging Community. Have you been reading any great posts this week?
For even more Sunday Surf goodness, check out: A Little Bit of All of It, One Rich Mother, Karen’s Healthy Lifestyle, Adventures of a Thrifty Mama, Touchstonez, The New Mommy Files, Fabulous Mama Chronicles, Blacktating, Adventures in Mommyhood, Greener Cleaning Mums, Child Organics, I Thought I knew Mama, Monkey Butt Junction, Motherhood Moments, Mama and Baby Love, Gems of Delight, Enjoy Birth, Breastfeeding Moms Unite, Domesticated Women, This Adventure Life, Maman A Droit, Hobo Mama and Baby Dust Diaries.