In any case, it was totally worth it – I now have a pan of Black Bean Brownies, another of Nourishing Bread Pudding, and a loaf of 100% Whole Wheat Honey Bread cooling on my counter…boy does my kitchen smell good!
I wanted to share my adapted version of this Black Bean Brownie recipe, and also join in with Authentic Parenting for my first Sunday Surf! This has been an AMAZING week for blog posts…can’t wait to share what I’ve been reading!
But first things first – the chocolate!
Black Bean Brownies:
- 1 Can Eden Organics Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 C organic unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 C cocoa powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 t. real vanilla extract
- 3/4 C raw sugar
- 1 good glug strong coffee (I used what was leftover in the post from this morning)
- 1/4 C semi-sweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350. Put all the ingredients except the chocolate chips into a food processor or blender; puree until smooth. Pour chocolate chips over the top.
Bake for about 40 minutes, until toothpick inserted into middle comes out mostly clean.
Wait for brownies to cool completely before eating (you may want to store them in the fridge).
I also just wanted to quickly share a few of my helpful baking secrets that I’ve come up with over the years.
1. You can almost always use raw sugar instead of white sugar, and it makes things come out extremely awesomely.
2. It’s never a bad idea to take something out of the oven about 5 minutes or so before it’s really done. Most baked treats keep on cooking for a bit after you take them out, so this can mean the difference between perfectly soft and gooey or a crispy hard outcome.
3. You can almost always reduce the amount of sugar a recipe calls for and still have it turn out well.
And now for the Sunday Surf!
Here are some of the awesome posts I’ve picked up on over the past week (I know, like you don’t already have enough to do!) But trust me – these are worth it:
- From the Alternative Mama – Lactivism is For Everybody – Not Just Breastfeeders!
- From The Connected Mom - 4 Lies Sleep Trainers Tell You (and One Truth They Won’t!)
- From The Leaky B@@B – Breastfeeding = Breastfeeding
- From McCrenshaw – McCrenshaw’s Newest Thoughts – Random Acts of Kindness
- From The Modern Aboriginal Mama – Beat the Stress and Forgive Yourself
- From The Cloth Diapering Mama (over at The Natural Parents Network) – Skin to Skin Bonding: As Brothers Attach
- From A Little Bit of It All – Gentle Birth Choices: Book Review
- From TouchestoneZ - A March of Kindness: A Month Wrap Up
I seriously read a whole bunch more great ones but I don’t want to overwhelm you and I’m bad at keeping track - but if you do want to check out any more, head on over to Authentic Parenting to see a bunch of other folks who are sharing this week’s best in the Sunday Surf.
Do you have a favorite blog post from the last week that you’d love to share? Does the idea of making brownies with beans in them weird you out a little bit?