Search

Carnival of Natural Parenting -- Hobo Mama and Code Name: Mama
Mindful Mama Carnival
A Little Bit of All of It: A Natural Parenting Blog
October Unprocessed 2012
Freedom of Cloth Carnival

Kale Chips = Awesome!

Kale ChipsJust made kale chips for the first time, and I had to post about it, because they are so, so good!

I am always looking for new kale recipes, because kale is extremely good for you – it is chock full of:

• Lutein – known to prevent eye disease and protect against cancer
  • Antioxidant flavonoids, which ward off heart disease and regulate blood pressure
  • Calcium
  • Iron
  • Magnesium
  • Vitamins A
  • Vitamin C
  • Dietary fiber

In other words, it’s good stuff!

Now, I have read in several places that Kale Chips tastes exactly like chips. I was extremely skeptical of this, considering these so-called chips are made of, well, kale.

But, I determined to give it a try. Looking through several recipes, I came up with my own little version:

• Preheat oven to 325
  • Rinse and dry the Kale
  • Tear into uniform, 2-inch or so pieces – discard the thick stem
  • Toss in a large bowl with 2 T olive oil, 2 cloves chopped garlic, salt to taste, and some chile flakes.
  • Lay the leaves flat on a cookie sheet – make sure they don’t overlap (I had to do 2 rounds).
  • Cook for 15-20 minutes, until crispy

That’s it! Super easy, super fast…and the best part?

They actually do taste like chips!!!

I really couldn’t believe how good these things are – I think this is my new favorite snack (and remember, I am a picky veggie eater – you will love these even if you hate veggies!).

A few more other tips and tricks:

1. Start off at 15 minutes – only go longer if the leaves are not yet crispy.
  2. Use real salt – but remember that a little goes a long way.
  3. Try it salt free! Try seasoning with different herbs or nutritional yeast for a Parmesan kind of flavor. I think I will add some balsamic vinegar next time – it goes really well with kale.

Now let me know if you try these, and how they turned out – and have fun! :)

What’s your favourite kale recipe?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

18 Responses to “Kale Chips = Awesome!”

• elisabeth says:

A twist on the kale chip – dehydrate them. Keeps them raw so they lose nothing but water.

I made mine with coconut milk (and some added coconut cream bc the milk I opened was too watery) and then a curry spice mix, garlic & onion powder, dried dill, and sea salt. Then I dehydrated them for about 6 hours. They were really crisp and totally raw! Yum! The salt & dill keeps you coming back for more while the coconut & curry satiates the fat craving from potato chips.

• Kelly says:

That sounds amazing Elisabeth!

I have been meaning to get a dehydrator – maybe this recipe will help convince hubby ;)

• Sarah M. says:

These are so good! I just tossed them with EVOO, salt, and nutritional yeast. Yum!

• Yum, I have heard these are really good and have been meaning to make some. Ive just put Kale seeds out in the garden, so as soon as they are ready I will be making this. Thanks for sharing!
    Christine @ African Babies Don’t Cry recently posted..Best DIY, How To and Recipe Posts of the Natural Parents Network Volunteers

• Bonnie says:

I made these in the past and liked them while I was eating them – but the after taste was too much for me. The ones I made were just EVOO and salt. Does the garlic help combat the “kale” flavor? I really need to find a way to like this nutritional powerhouse!

• Kelly says:

Totally get what you mean Bonnie – and garlic definitely helps! I use quite a lot too. Also threw some fresh dill in this time around – probably the more seasonings you add the more you’ll get away from that kale taste. And make sure they’re good and crispy! :)

I’m honestly not a huge fan of kale flavour myself, but I’ve had success adding it to smoothies and chopping it really fine into rice or soup to disguise the flavour. And topping it with balsamic vinegar when cooked is also amazing. Good luck!

• Bonnie says:

Thanks! Ever since pregnancy #2, fresh garlic bothers me if I get too much but I’ll have to experiment with spices and see if I can find something that works for me, I guess.

• Kelly says:

Ooh that’s a tough one! What about minced onions, shallots or green onions? Or you might do better w/garlic powder or garlic chives?