I am always looking for new kale recipes, because kale is extremely good for you – it is chock full of:
- Lutein – known to prevent eye disease and protect against cancer
- Antioxidant flavonoids, which ward off heart disease and regulate blood pressure
- Vitamins A
- Vitamin C
- Dietary fiber
In other words, it’s good stuff!
Now, I have read in several places that Kale Chips tastes exactly like chips. I was extremely skeptical of this, considering these so-called chips are made of, well, kale.
But, I determined to give it a try. Looking through several recipes, I came up with my own little version:
- Preheat oven to 325
- Rinse and dry the Kale
- Tear into uniform, 2-inch or so pieces – discard the thick stem
- Toss in a large bowl with 2 T olive oil, 2 cloves chopped garlic, salt to taste, and some chile flakes.
- Lay the leaves flat on a cookie sheet – make sure they don’t overlap (I had to do 2 rounds).
- Cook for 15-20 minutes, until crispy
That’s it! Super easy, super fast…and the best part?
They actually do taste like chips!!!
I really couldn’t believe how good these things are – I think this is my new favorite snack (and remember, I am a picky veggie eater – you will love these even if you hate veggies!).
A few more other tips and tricks:
- Start off at 15 minutes – only go longer if the leaves are not yet crispy.
- Use real salt – but remember that a little goes a long way.
- Try it salt free! Try seasoning with different herbs or nutritional yeast for a Parmesan kind of flavor. I think I will add some balsamic vinegar next time – it goes really well with kale.
Now let me know if you try these, and how they turned out – and have fun!